Football star and former England player, David Beckham has been banned from driving for six months after he was caught making use of his mobile phone while driving.

A South London Court had earlier handed him six points on his drivers’ license for the offence in the British capital.

With six points already on his license for other speeding offenses, he now faces a ban.

The former Manchester United and England footballer was driving his Bentley in London’s West End on November 21 when a member of the public spotted him using his phone, reports Press Association (PA).

“Instead of looking straight forward, paying attention to the road, he appeared to be looking at his lap,” said prosecutor Matthew Spratt, according to PA.

“He (the witness) says that the defendant was operating a handheld device at knee level. At that moment a photograph was taken.”

Beckham’s lawyer, Gerrard Tyrrell, said that his client cannot remember the incident.

“There is no excuse for what took place but his view is as he cannot remember… he’s going to plead guilty and that’s what he’s done,” said Tyrrell.

Beckham, 43, is currently working to bring the 25th MLS franchise to Miami, Florida.